Thursday, January 26, 2006

Training Day Is Over


Well, I already gave up. I have decided he is just not ready--even though I am, but I at least have to tell you all the drama I went through. . .

First thing Monday morning when he woke up we went in his room, took off his diaper, and put on his Nemo underpants. I went into the kitchen and set the timer for 15 minutes. When the timer went off I was going to take him to go potty. When it did finally go off, I went to him and said, "Okay Jake, time to go potty," and he said back to me, "but Mommy I'm wet." So we went to his room and put his Thomas underpants on. I went and set the timer again for another 15 minutes. When it went off, I went over to Jake and said, "okay it's time to go potty again," and he replied, "Mommy you need to change my diaper." I said, "Jake your not wearing a diaper. Did you pee in your pants again?" and he said ever so slightly, "Yes." He could feel my wrath.

So at this point it had been about 30 minutes and he had already peed on himself twice. I decided he needed to wash off, so I took off his clothes and walked him to the bathtub. As I was rinsing out the tub and getting ready to fill it I hear him yell from right behind me, "Mommy!!!" I quickly turned and he was peeing on the bathroom floor. I grabbed him and put him in front of the potty but by then he was already done. If he would have taken 2 steps backward he would have been standing right in front of the potty. I lost it!!!! He was right there. He could've peed in the potty but he decided to pee on the floor instead. Even though I was livid at this point I realized that he doesn't know the feeling of it coming so he can't make a quick enough decision to walk to the potty to go.

During his bath, we had a heart to heart and I told him we would go back to diapers for the day. He asked me if I was happy and I said yes because he had at least tried. After his bath, I took him to his room and he asked me again if I was happy. He obviously could sense my frustration. So I calmly said "Yes I'm happy, but I would be happier if you would learn how to pee in the potty, but I don't want to frustrate you anymore, I know its hard!" And what came next was the sweetest thing I have ever heard. God knew I needed to hear this. My beautiful, sweet, and loving 3 year old grabbed my neck to hug me, looked me in the eye and said, "Mommy I don't want to frustrate you either!" I melted. He was consoling his Mother.

I was reminded in that moment of when Jesus spoke to his mother while on the cross. He said, "Dear woman, here is your son," and to the disciple, "Here is your mother." He was consoling her the best he knew how in that moment. What an amazing God we serve and what an amazing son I have. Even though it was the hardest 30 minutes I have had in a long time, it was also the sweetest.

5 comments:

schwalka said...

what a great story! It is a neat illustration too. Thanks for sharing

Anonymous said...

Holly I am laughing and crying so hard at this hilarious story. The first part was cracking me up and I can't even begin to imagine starting this with Cayden. Then when he was so sweet to you ... oh i got tears in my eyes!!!

:)Jamie

Anonymous said...

Hey You!

Hang in there! I've potty trained three boys and we all survived: )
I've figured that by the time my 4th is potty trained, I will have used the bathroom with the door open for ten years. That is soooo sad.

Jenny : )

Holly Bollinger Photography & Design said...

which Jenny is this?

Anonymous said...

Jenny (Baker) Gresak. Mother of four. Potty trainer extrordinare : )