Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Listen To This Man


In John 7, the beginning of what was a series of traps to try and convict Jesus was taking place. The crowd was divided after Jesus loudly voiced his teachings to them. When they guards were asked why they didn't bring Jesus in, they said, "No one ever spoke the way this man does."

As we were studying this passage last night that verse spoke to me. Jesus has never spoken to me the way anyone else has. I was reminded that I tend to talk to Jesus more than I listen. I tend to ask for things more than listen. When I do rarely listen instead of groan and grumble for the things I think I need or deserve it is always profound and loving. This week (after we were robbed) I duked it out with God a little bit. I know that in this world we will have trouble but I told God, "Look, I know I signed up for this, but I didn't sign up for this." And with all patience and love he responded back to me that He knows and He's in control. Just to hear Him speak those words to my soul were comforting in the midst of fear and hurt. When we listen, He speaks like no man has ever spoken before. His eloquence, passion, love, grace, and much more, cannot be matched. What does it say about us when we don't notice Jesus' voice enough? The guards who weren't even his followers noticed that there was something different about this Jesus.

I challenge you today to do a little more listening to this man who speaks differently than others. Listen more than speak. Hear Him and dwell in His thoughts. Jesus will speak to your heart and you will be blessed.

1 comment:

schwalka said...

Good Word