Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Image Consultant

Where do we get our image of a Pastor’s Wife? In my first journal entry I said that I used to see them a certain way. I saw them as untouchable, unreachable. Not many of the Pastor’s wives I encountered were friendly or sociable. They usually played the silent “behind the scenes” person. I feel like I am quite the opposite. So where do we find out what a Pastor’s wife should act like, sound like, or look like? As I was studying this week, the Lord told me to illustrate some ways we as wives and in general as women should be.
Image is a reproduction of the form of a person or object, especially a sculptured likeness; one that closely or exactly resembles another; a double. In Genesis, God says he made us in “His image” What that tells me is that we are supposed to act like him. A good friend and missionary by the name of Norman Barnes came and spoke to our church about “Our Destiny”. One statement he made that stood out to be was that, “We were all created with purpose and destiny.” God created us to be something special and unique in his Kingdom. He also said, “Don’t die a copy.” We are called to be like Christ, in his image, but we are also called to be our own individual self. In the book I am currently reading called Captivating, there is a point in the book where she references our characteristics, male and female, to those of God. He made us in His image, so he must have those character traits. He is strong, wise, a good leader, a disciplinary, and much more that make him God and not, well, George. (That’s for my daddy) He also has traits that women embody. He is romantic, loving, giving, kind, a nurturer, and compassionate. These are all traits that we as women embrace (most of the time). He is the perfect example of male and female. Everything that He has created us to be is a little part of who He is. We aren’t an exact copy of who God is, but we are called to strive to be like Him, holy, as he is holy. That’s my image of what a pastor’s wife should be; striving to be holy. If they are doing that, then all the other images will come into focus. And that focus, is on God!

2 comments:

mmmmm said...

You should have a Walk-Off with other pastors' wives.

Holly Bollinger Photography & Design said...

Elaborate. . .